Sunday, March 15, 2009

5K Here I Come!

I never run on Sundays, but today was just such a perfect day. It was just a little chilly when the wind blew, but sunny and springlike. We decided to take the girls to the park, so I decided to start my next week of running early. If you recall I am not supposed to be walking anymore during my 30 minute run. Let me remind you that the first week I started I ran a total of 6 minutes and literally thought I was going to pass out! I coughed and wheezed the rest of the day and thought I seriously had asthma. Eight weeks have gone by and it has gotten somewhat easier, but I add minutes of running each week, and it has remained quite a challenge. So did I do it? Did I run all 3o minutes today??? Are you on the edge of your seat yet?

I DID IT!!!!!!!!

I am just a little proud of myself. I really never saw this day coming and am proud of myself for sticking with it. I think it was probably around 2.5 miles that I ran. So now I just need to continue with it and push myself to eventually get to a little over 3 miles so I know I can do a 5K. I thought about rewarding myself with a chocolate milkshake, but then I remembered I lost 4 pounds this week and that might defeat the purpose of my hard work. I know people always say "If I can do it, you can do it", but I really think it's true! Running was not my thing in the slightest, and honestly I don't think I've ever ran more than a mile in my life, and never just because...it was always because I had to for sports or school, and the last time I did that was probably 7 or 8 years ago! I actually felt better today after the run than I have the past eight weeks. I don't know if it was the fact I wasn't stopping to walk and then having the agony of having to start running again, or the fact that I wasn't constantly looking at my watch to see when I got to stop. I kept telling myself "you don't get to stop, just keep going" and I felt really great!

Here's a picture to leave you with...but it's not of me, because I am not looking pretty after that run!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Well I just have to say it again. I'm SO proud of you. Can't wait to see your in shape self in just a few days!!!!

Barb said...

Way to go, Laura. I'm proud of you too. I'm sure I helped you reach that goal when I walked/ran with you in 14 degree weather that weekend back in February. You were so motivated seeing your mom run, that you knew you could do it! Right! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I walked 30 minutes last night, does that count? Good job. Love you and especially the picture of those two sweet girls! Nana

The Venables said...

Way to go, Laura! I am so proud of you! I had no doubt in my mind you could do it....that is so awesome. Don't you feel great when you finish that run?? During the run, maybe not so much......but afterward is great. Maybe someday I will get those jogging shoes back out. For now, walking or "waddling" will have to suffice.:) Can't wait to see pics of your 5K Run!! I know you will do great!

Heidi said...

Woo hoo Laura. I am definitly inspired by you. I just haven't had the motivation to run since Chelsea came along but have been telling myself to get started. Way to go for challenging yourself.