Saturday, April 18, 2009

Race Day!

Ansley thinks Mommy and Daddy are number 1 regardless of what place they finished!
Today was race day! Originally my sister Betsy and I were going to run together for our first 5K. But we can't do that until May 9, so we both decided to run one before that time. Jeremy graciously volunteered to run with me today so I wouldn't have to do it by myself. He was so kind to slow his pace and run next to me (okay maybe a few steps ahead of me) the entire time. I kept telling him he didn't have to do that, but secretly, I wanted him to.

I did have brief flashbacks to when I was in labor with Kennedy. After 3 hours of pushing, Jeremy kept telling me "You're doing great!", and I finally said "YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I'M DOING GREAT!" I figured if I was doing great I would have popped that child out 2 hours prior. At about 2.5 miles he kept saying "Just one more corner!" over and over. I finally said, probably not so kindly, "I know! You've told me that 8 times!" I clearly did not see one more corner, and it was at least 1/2 mile away. Not too mention, I've been averaging 14-15 minute miles (super slow I realize!) and we were averaging around 12 minute miles!

We finished at 38 minutes. That's 7 minutes faster than my normal time. That tells me a few things: 1) I can run faster than I have been 2) I haven't really been pushing myself as much as I could 3) Running with someone makes me push myself more.

Honestly though, I could care less about the time. I'm just glad I didn't walk, and I finished. Not to mention that I made a goal, and 3 months later, actually went through with it! However, I do feel that I need to push myself a little harder in 3 weeks to do at least that well, if not a little better. I'm thinking I can do 36 minutes. We'll see!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Girl, I am so proud of you!!!! Can't wait to run with you in a few weeks.

Barb said...

Great job, Laura! I'm proud of you for setting a goal and sticking with it! I feel like I was part of it too, since I ran with you in 14 degree weather in February! Ha, ha!

Brenda said...

Very impressive! I'm so proud of you!
Brenda

Rose1231 said...

Congratulations, Laura! I thought this accomplishment was worth looking up my 3 year old blogger account and figuring out how to log-in just to say I'm prouda ya!