Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Game

It's sometimes hard to come up with things to keep Kennedy entertained during the day. Don't get me wrong, she's a great self-entertainer, and can play for hours with her Barbies--just like I did when I was little. But she always knows when Ansley is napping and immediately wants mommy all to herself to play together. I saw this idea in my Parenting magazine and decided to try it. I wrote all the letters and numbers 1-9 on paper plates and we place them in a circle around the family room. Then we put on princess music and had to walk around the plates until the music stopped. When it stopped we had to pick up the plate we were next to and tell the letter on the plate. She knows all the numbers, but we still need work on identifying the letters. She had a lot of fun though, and I felt good knowing she was learning at the same time! Here are some pictures from our new game that we may make a point of playing everyday!

2 comments:

HW said...

What a great idea!

My kids loved "grocery store" at that age. We had a cart and a toy cash register. I saved actual boxes from their favorite foods and placed them around the room and they pushed the cart around and put the items in and "checked out." Oh, I guess you need some kind of money too.

They also loved the "animal guessing game." I put all their stuffed animals in a pile and described one - "I live in the jungle and I am like a big cat..." and they'd run and grab the tiger. Then I'd describe another animal.

If I had little ones I'd play this paper plate game but I don't think my 17 and 14 year olds would find it much fun....

Heidi said...

This sounds like an excellent game to me. Kennedy will be brillant.

And wow- check out Ansley's expression after shots. She really knows how to get her point across! I would be making that face too if someone was sticking me with needles then talking about my my huge head!

xoxoxo