Thursday, September 9, 2010

This Girl

This girl never ceases to amaze me! She is loving Kindergarten and is soaking up every little thing. She can tell me which kids got in trouble each day and why, how many girls are wearing Twinkletoe shoes (like her Nana gave her), all about each and every school fundraiser (and the awesome prizes she can get), and just about anything else I ask her. She has learned to read a total of 8 new words so far and loves pointing them out to me when I read to her at night. She has a friend named Montesweeni (I have no idea if I am spelling that right) who I think may come from a family of Middle Eastern descent, and a friend named Yadiera (again no clue on the spelling) that is Mexican and teaches her Spanish words and phrases. She has a few other friends that she talks about as well, but her circle definitely is multi-cultural!

Something else has happened to Kennedy since school started. The first week or two was not real pleasant for us once she got home. She was ornery, sassy, and cried at the drop of a hat. But since we have gotten more into a routine, things are going much better. I'm sure our 7:30pm bedtime doesn't hurt either. She has been super polite lately, using manners whenever she can, she asks if she can help do dishes/dust/sweep/etc., and she hasn't complained about my cooking in weeks! I don't know what's gotten into her, but we definitely like the changes we are seeing. Hopefully they'll last!

Last, I will leave you with a funny story. Every Monday at school each child can share something they did over the weekend, and apparently they draw pictures about it too. With this past weekend being Labor Day, we had a fun-filled weekend with Betsy and Chad in town. We went to the Cardinals game, had a cook-out, and went to Six Flags. When I asked her what she shared with the class she said: "I told them we sat at home and watched TV all weekend." I was flabbergasted and asked her why she said that instead of share some of the things we really did. Her response: "What? I don't know how to draw all those other things!"

My silly, silly girl!

No comments: