Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Name Game

Who knew naming a baby boy could be so hard? Jeremy and I usually know the name of our baby the day we find out the gender, and had this one been a girl, she would have already had her name long ago (Brooklyn). However, we just could not decide on a name for this baby boy! We both had our two favorites, and they didn't match up. Jeremy wanted the name Landon, with his second choice being Jonathan (after both his favorite Bible character, and his Grandpa John.) I like both of those names, but I just didn't feel like they were "the one," plus I always spell Jonathan wrong! My favorite choice was Evan, with my second choice being Brayden, although Jeremy was completely against that one. Neither one of us was budging, even with the help of most of the youth group members trying to pressure me to pick Landon, so we decided to scratch all four of those names and start over.

Thanks to the Complete Idiot's Guide to 40,000 Baby Names we finally struck gold! Our son's name will be. . . (drumroll please)

Ian Jeffrey Picker

We both really like Ian, and it happens to mean "God is gracious" or "Gift from God" depending on where you look. But my favorite part about it is that it is the Scottish equivalent of John, so we feel like it has some meaning there as well. Jeffrey was my dad's name, so that was the given middle name regardless of what the first name was going to be. I immediately liked it and decided that was my new first choice, but Jeremy made me wait all day long before he admitted it was his favorite too. It took Kennedy saying in her prayer before bed "Please help Daddy to say we can name the baby boy Ian" before he finally told us he thought it was a great idea. We're all excited to finally have a name so we can stop calling him "Baby Boy."


4 comments:

alisha said...

Yay, I love Ian! (also Ryder's middle name) But I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that his name is not Troy Bolton.

Unknown said...

Troy Bolton was high on our list :) Wow, you could pretty much tell people we are naming him after the members in your family too!

Dan and Jenna said...

Keaton is still "baby boy" on all of our hospital records because we didn't know right away. We had a girl name the day we found out we were expecting. Baby boy are HARD to name!!! Good luck... Keaton is a good one :)

Dan and Jenna said...

I pressed publish too fast...I love the name Ian. Good choice!