Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Temper Tantrum

The picture is misleading...the temper tantrum that was done was not performed by this little angel. But rather, it was by this one. . .
. . .who is obviously tuckered out from all of her ranting and raving at Target.

Today I took the girls to Target, along with my cousin Whitney. I needed a couple of odds and ends, and decided that we could get Kennedy a High School Musical shirt to wear to the High School Musical 2 play that we are going to this weekend. Before we got to the shirts though, we decided to browse the Halloween costumes. Kennedy has been saying she wants to be a cow for Halloween, although I have no idea where she came up with that. Most recently she changed her mind and said she would rather be Princess Jasmine. However, in the Halloween aisle, she saw The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and even Tinkerbell. She immediately wanted to be all of those things. Her favorite though was Tinkerbell. Well these costumes were $30, and I am not prepared to spend that much on a costume. Although I do realize it will be worn much more than just Halloween (she wears a princess costume daily), I thought it was still a little early, and we may find something cheaper. Then I saw a Target brand "fairy" costume that was basically exactly like the Tinkerbell costume, but without the picture of Tink herself on it, for only $9.99. They didn't have a green one in her size though, so I told her we would wait until we could find her size. This began the worst temper tantrum I have ever seen her perform in public. I was so embarrassed! She was screaming and crying, telling me over and over that she NEEDED a costume. It was horrible! So I drug her out of there, and also informed her she was no longer getting a HSM shirt either...which of course led to more crying! Fortunately a kind Target worker opened her lane just for me so I could pay for the few necessities I needed and get outta there...which every person in Target was probably thankful for. She has wanted things before when we have shopped, but usually I explain why we can't get it and she's okay...but not today. I thought I didn't have one of "those" kids! Any wise advice or tips on how to handle these outbursts? I'm hoping this is the first and the last!

I forgot to mention a big thanks to my mother-in-law and father-in-law for the computer! They hooked me up with Cassidi's mac that she doesn't use anymore! So thanks to Cassidi too!

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I have no tips or advice. I can only commiserate with you. Lately taking Caleb to the grocery store has been a nightmare. He has done everything from smashing bread to throwing food on the floor. It is so embarrassing, and I'm always sure that everyone is thinking, "what a terrible mother!" But maybe they're not . . . maybe they're thinking, "bless her heart!" It's nice to know the same thing happens to other moms!

Davies Family said...

I think every parent experiences this at some point! :) Sounds like you did the right thing by just removing her from the situation and leaving. Hopefully your next shopping trip will go better! :)

HW said...

Something that worked for me, with our son, was to lean very close and whisper in his ear "People are looking at you..." He hated public attention and he piped down right quick.

With our daughter, um....well...since she suffered from SPPS (Self Proclaimed Princess Syndrome)at that age, we just had to high tail it out of the store too - usually without even buying what was in the cart.

This too shall pass.